Monday, December 20, 2010

Honeymoon

Both Jake and I had a dream to go to Hawaii so what better place then Hawaii for our Honeymoon. We had used my Skymiles and Hotel points for flight and hotel. Then we used the money we would have on Hotel and Flights for fun. We stayed in The Marriott Resort and Spa on Waikiki Beach. It was a nice hotel and the concierge desk was the best that I had even seen. They were able to give us ideas and deals on what to do around Hawaii. One of the deals was a bus that took us on a tour of the island with stops at Pearl Harbor, the Dole Plantation and the Polynesian Culture Center. That was a lot to do in one day but it was a fun day.

We began the day at Pearl Harbor and went out to the sunken Arizona and looked around.

DSCN0650 DSCN0665 DSCN0683

 

After Pearl Harbor we went to the Dole Plantation, but since we only got 10 minutes we just had some Pineapple Ice Cream and walked around a little bit. There is a bit to like they had a maze and stuff. We just didn’t have time to do anything. At the plantation there were some amazing trees with colors on them. I’m not sure if they were painted, but the tour guide said that the trees do it naturally. As we were leaving we saw the Pineapple fields that went on for miles and miles.

DSCN0694 DSCN0697 DSCN0701

 

After that we had lunch at a shrimp farm off the road where I had a hamburger haha. Jake had a chicken sandwich we weren’t really in the mood for shrimp. Next we went to the North Shore and saw some amazingly large waves. It was beautiful on the North Shore and if I go back to Oahu again I’ll probably stay on the North Shore.

DSCN0724 DSCN0712 DSCN0715

 

Then the tour guide took us through the Town of Laie which is apparently 90% Mormon, according to the tour guide. He also made a stop at the landmark Hole in the Rock which was on these beautiful cliffs.

 DSCN0742 DSCN0743

 

Finally we ended the day the Polynesian Culture Center. This is honestly where we spent the majority of the day. I loved the Polynesian Culture Center which to me is a Pacific version of Disneyland. The entire place, of course, had the Polynesian theme. The entire place was so clean, just amazing. The tour guide also helped us in the Polynesian Culture Center. He knew the best timing to catch the shows and he would give us a few minutes to do stuff in between. We started in Samoa where the Fire Dancer had a show. He was so funny and the best show by far. Then we had a few minutes to walk around. After which we went to the River Parade thing. It was pretty cool, the had these stage boats and the dancers would dance on the boats. I really enjoyed it, but we were in the back and it was hard to get good pictures. Each country had their own boat, but I only got pictures of three as I realized my camera was dying and I didn’t have a way to charge it for the res of the week.

DSCN0757 DSCN0759 DSCN0760

After the river we saw a show in Tonga and Aotearoa which is New Zealand. They showed drums in Tonga and Aotearoa showed us this amazing thing with balls on ropes. I forgot what they were called. I really enjoyed that show. After that we had a few hours to eat and walk around until the final show of the evening which is the main event. Since the Polynesian Culture center is because of BYU they have an optional tour to take you around BYU campus and the Hawaii Temple. Since the Temple was closed we figured it might be the only time we would get to the temple so we took the tour. The temple it beautiful and I wish we would have gotten the chance to do a session.

DSCN0786 

After the temple we ended the day watching “Ha, The Breath of Life” which is a hour and half show which includes all the different cultures. It was really good! People should definitely go see it if they are ever in Oahu.

That ended our second day of our trip and definitely the busiest day of the trip. The next day we decided to just hang out at the Hotel. We did go down to the beach again but that was all we did the third day.

Wednesday we decided to go Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. I enjoyed the bay except it was pretty murky in the water. Although I did not see one boring fish, they were all colorful and so pretty. I was sad I did not see a Turtle. We only snorkled for a couple of hours and then went back to the Hotel.

So when we first decided to go to Hawaii we really wanted to go golfing. However, all the courses we were looking at were like $150 to $300 a person to golf which was a bit too much. Plus it would be hard to get our clubs there. Well on Thursday we were looking at some brochures and found a golf course that would be about $60 a person to golf including club rentals so we went. It was fun and we saw a mongoose pretty interesting creature. To me it looked like a mix between a lizard and a fox.  I didn’t know what it was at first and it just looked so crazy.

Friday was another relaxing day.

1 comment:

  1. wow I haven't read in a while, and I haven't heard anything about Hawaii. What fun! I think the Polynesian Culture Center would be awesome to see someday!

    ReplyDelete