Monday, July 5, 2010

Corregidor Island

So I love Manila and enjoy going there every time. Tropical air and trees, plus the people are nice and the food isn’t terrible. However, one of my recent trips there I was able to have my sister and my dad come for a few days and it was fun. I must admit it was a little hard because I still had to work so our schedules clashed a little, but it worked. I pretty much was only able to spend two days with them. Saturday and Sunday, but they were really fun.

Saturday morning (right after work for me) we had planned to go to Corregidor Island. It’s an old Military base right at the mouth of Manila bay that had some American History during WWII. Michaelene and Dad met me at my office and then we went over to the bay to catch our ferry. We were a little bit early so we had breakfast in this little square right by the bay. It was fun and an interesting place because there were all these  people there doing aerobics. I didn’t get any pictures of the aerobics, but there are a few pictures of us at breakfast and around the area.

philippines with dad and mikey 032 philippines with dad and mikey 034 philippines with dad and mikey 038 philippines with dad and mikey 039

We then took the Ferry to Corregidor Island which I slept the entire way to the Island. Once on the island we got on our little tour “buses” they were small and were fashioned after trolley’s. The tour guide said that during the time when the island was big they had a trolley system on the island. Our first stop was the Japanese Memorial.

philippines with dad and mikey 047 philippines with dad and mikey 048 philippines with dad and mikey 051

Next we went to the Malinta Tunnel which is one of the more interesting sights of the island. It was used as a bunker way back when the island was active. There are all sorts of tunnels that go through hill and the main tunnel is a light and sound show. It pretty much tells the history of the island during WWII where each little tunnel off the main one has statues and scenery depicting scene. Then over the sound system would be a dramatic reading of the story and the entire tunnel would be dark except the tunnel that the story was talking about.

philippines with dad and mikey 059 philippines with dad and mikey 073 philippines with dad and mikey 076

I have been writing this post for awhile so I’m just going to post it and put a part II up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment